SCROLL UP OR DOWN FOR SELECTION

********** scroll up or down **********

The windmills of our past often energize our todays with a renewed fervor found in the recesses of happier moments and memories

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

TODAYS THOUGHT and COUPLES VS COUPLETS

Today's Nothings Are Often Tomorrows Everything

I suppose by rights to all I should bare what is left of my multi colored remembrance's of that, that comes in the waning days of my pacing the crowded pathways of uncharted, unnumbered routes, through open doors leading to further wandering, wandering that seemed to always have the ending question "So you are here? Now what?"

To each that question may bring solace through a kindly answer, thought, act, or deed. I do believe that atonement comes in many cloths and tartans. I believe that nothing can change ones internal makeup until that one gives him/her self the desired will to allow a change, yet again I digress.

I am taking a few liberties with words today and as we progress through the following scenarios I believe you will agree with my informal definition of 'couplet' and its informal use. 'Couple' by design means two, duo, tie. While 'couplet' by new use is pair, verse, doublet.

There were only a few real 'couples' that is, those that were on the 'going steady' bent. The ones that come immediately to mind were Yvonne Fay and Tom Crispin, Dorothy Lopez and Tony Apodaca, Grace Harriet and Jack Bruton. As it turned out two of these couples would walk hand in hand through many years of being together. They, as I look back, were to be envied in that they walked in closer rhythm than would be imagined for that day and time.

While on the other paths of togetherness was the 'couplets'. Now, let me be very truthful about those relationships involving me, I cherished each and every one of them and to this day carry in my always awaking memories the wondrous feeling of having spent real, honest, quality time with each young lady.

My pals were one half of the 'couplet' and a variety of young ladies were the other half. I will tell you this, the parade was one surely to be ranked in the higher echelons of 'couplets'.

Gordon Stirling, you recall was the Baptist Ministers son. Red headed and on occasion hot headed also. He and I came to HS together from grade school. Gordon was a good student and good dancer , so inevitably a half a 'couplet'.

Neil Gray, yes that one. Good dancer, student, and all around good guy.

The three of us were the culprits of the infamous 'watermelon caper'. I can with truth in my heart totally deny knowing anything about Mr. Gracie's Morris Minor ending up on the stage in the gym, nor anything about concrete culverts in the ante area of the Mr. Bells office. Again I veer off trail.

Bill Caldwell, Butch Vigil, were a year ahead of me. Bill was ahead in other ways also. For one thing he had an Indian Motorcycle, the "black beauty" and thus he was lost to us younger guys. Butch tho seemed to enjoy being the 'big brother' to his younger group.

The couplet female side was wide (in numbers, not in stature) and diverse in many ways. I shall commit my recollections as best as I can. Should any of you feel that I have wronged you (or anyone for that matter) I do hope you forgive me.

Carolyn Walters, red headed, left handed, dance my legs off. Two years ahead of me. And I must confess that my feelings for her were well beyond what was presented in public. Carolyn and I were virtually inseparable the summer of my sophomore year, There were the tennis matches, swimming (at School of Mines and the other two swimming holes, also the making of fudge. This is something we did nearly every day. When prom came, it was Carolyn who would be my date. Carolyn going to the University of New Mexico to become a nurse and I was lost. Mrs. Walters ordered a corsage of orchids for Carolyn and a bud for me. I must admit that we were a striking "couplet".

The 'gang of gals' using the term loosely and not with malice I shall expound on the misguided thesis that these were the "elite" the "untouchable". It is true that this group pretty much enjoyed a certain amount of exclusivity. The order of luck in getting a date with any of these depended upon many variances and thereby limited the possibility of success. Through the years I was on the outer ring of this circus, the only "couplet" involving myself was I had several dates with Gwendolyn Ivy, so with little or no luck with the others I'd just go on to seek solace so to speak and say good-bye to Esther Zimmerly, Burdie Caldwell, Billy Jean Reese, and one or two more I can't recall.

One of the sweethearts (in our dreams possibly) was a dark haired beauty that lived out of town. Therefore riding the bus precluded the amount of time that was allowed those that would attempt to court this one. Those of us that had means of transport would try to spend time with her at any point possible, that her home (by transport) at her cousins (by bike or foot) this one full of energy, fear of anything was not a part of her make up and this in itself created a sort of mystique that I am sure follows Noeline Mounyo. I was fortunate to have spent some great summer evenings at her home, but not in a reference of 'couplet'.

My walking companion from the seventh grade through the ninth was so petite that I often thought that a swift wind would carry her off. Tho we walked hand in hand to and from school there was something that seemed to stand in the way of real closeness. But let it be known forever my respect and fondness for Oleta Fowler will endure til the last sunset.

Oleta had a counterpart, not only in stature but in temperament. They were until Oleta moved best of friends. The two girls were fun to be around and Clydean Collins was sure to urge you as a friend to do good.

It was the first day of school, my sophomore year, group of students gathered at the entrance on the Northwest corner, allowing for a clear view of the new student approaching from the South.

She was cradling the evidence of a new student, ring binder, paper, ruler, and a strange item for school, a purse. She was wearing a full skirt with goodness only knows how many petticoats. Her white blouse with collar overlapping a light sweater accentuated the beautiful perfect face of Cecilia Rowe. Cecilia would at times join me as 'couplet' and I shall also remember the quiet times we sat on the back porch in the early hours of the morning.

Mr. and Mrs. Zwicky (sec) , Cecilia's mother and stepfather, were exceeding good to all of the kids who spent so much time at the Zwicky home. They allowed for the load music, the constant baking of double dutch brownies. The parties for Cecilia and Christmas were special. The home had been the Keith home , located across the street from Mr. Mrs. Coffey, and Ruby Lee's brother-in-law, and kitty cornered from Ruby Griffith, these "older youngsters" played roles of sorts in the lives of most of us.

Another part time visitor to Socorro was Billie Joan West. Her father Bill West was one of those "don't know " what he does, anyway they were here. The family was quartered at the Val Verde at the time, however Billie Jo stayed with Cecilia Rowe. I had known Billie Jo from some other time and we were good together. She wanted to stay in Socorro to go to school but that wasn't to happen. I say too bad.

At this time I was working at the Texaco Station next to Reynolds Cafe. I got off at midnight and would head for home, but not before having breakfast at the cafe. Then the walk home, whistling as I went by way of the North Star with anticipation that Cecilia would awaken and hear me whistle. She would and I would go around to the back door entrance and join her on the swing. The hours seemed to shoot by in shortened moments, as the discussion of the important items crossed hope, desire and fantasy of youth. I remember to well.

It never seemed to amaze me how I was so fortunate to have the lovely companions I had for the school events. I had asked the blond, by whisper, to accompany me to the coming dance, and was pleased that she consented. So that night we were to have our first 'couplet' and dance. I was to pick her up at the right time to get us to the dance by 7:45. In order to do this I had made promises to my Mom that I would take care with my driving. The reason for the promise was where my date lived, about 15 miles out of town on a small farm. I was not exactly truthful in telling Mom that I didn't have to take her home as this allowed me more time at least in theory. And so after the dance Ruby Lee Hawk and I had deluxe hamburgers, cokes, talk and the time for us.

I had the dubious job of selling shoes, that is if you believe that I actually did sales or rather that Mr Goad would let me help on the sure sales. In any event I was the one that fitted this lovely tall sandy haired girl. She was new in town though I had seen her on her first day at school. So what else could I do, she had to feel alone what with new town, school and all, so I asked to take her to the movies and that was the beginning of a great friendship that also led to considerable 'couplets' just Vesta Jean Hudgeons and yours truly.

There was a fire at the ice house and of course the whole neighborhood turned out to see the outcome of whether the ice house would burn up or be saved by our grossly inexperienced fire department. I had called on this young lady who lived across the street from the ice house. So when the fire engine went by the young lady and her older brother and I crossed the street to gather a better view.

I had seen some pictures on fire fighting and observed that the local fire department was using the Naval Spray method to cause the fire to burn up the oxygen under the spray and thus reduce the burning. I only mentioned this in passing but for some reason Mac Douglas was as impressed as was his sister, Enid. The adage about the iceman 'cometh' was lost as the ice house was saved.

Enid Douglas, several years behind me, was by far, of all the girls I have ever known, one of the brightest, cutest, sweetest and caring people I have ever encountered and believe me I have been around the horn. Enid would call on my Nanna after I went in the navy, she was most kind in many ways I shan't go into at this time. To say that Enid holds a special place is just the tip of the thought.

I think I mentioned the band trip to El Paso, well it was a 'couplet' time of Enid and I, Our time together was memorable beyond expectation and beyond the cold wind and snow that befell us during the parade. After the parade we (along with other 'couplets') went about seeing whatever we could get to. The leaving time was extended to give everyone more time to see what there was (some went across the border), as a result getting back to Socorro would carry us in to the dark evening. The trip further afforded a growing closeness between us. One that I shall treasure forever.

I hope that I have not offended any one nor offered any false impressions of morality, for trust me the moral ethics were always above reproach as far as I know.

Coming up, more about school, pals, gals, candy, music and the sadness of leaving.

1 comment:

alk41379 said...

Mr. Dave, My name is Angela and I am the only grand-daughter of Carolyn Walter Bullock, I would like to chat with you about my grandmother, see what she was like when she was younger. She has a hard time remembering much now days.. So if you would'nt mind please contact me

Custom-embroidered logo shirts and apparel by Queensboro