SCROLL UP OR DOWN FOR SELECTION

********** scroll up or down **********

The windmills of our past often energize our todays with a renewed fervor found in the recesses of happier moments and memories

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

MIDCOURSE CORRECTIONS AND THOUGHTS

I am beginning to understand the value of what Mrs. Moran and Mrs. Nutter tried to instill in our writing assignments, outline it dummy. Oh well some things just get ignored. And sometimes we get a chance to change things and in this case I'll just rearrange the placement of memory but not the time(s).

When there was time I would hike over to a friends and we would sit on the front porch and discuss the possibilities of the future. This would be an encouragement I sorely desired and from these discussions would build my mental library of things for recall and those for dismissal.
It is amazing how many of these came to fruition in later years.

The making of fudge was a two person job, at least it was here. One would mix every thing and start the cooking, then the other would take over 'til testing time the reversal again for the adding of nuts, butter, vanilla (or whiskey) to start the cooling of the fudge. There would be a bit of sight test to determine if the beating should begin. (Tell by the way the gloss faded). The beating would of course be brisk, if I were to be the second to beat I would kid my friend that I had extra work to do for I had to make up for the left handed strokes already rendered. This generally got me a swift kick.

When transport was available and I had a day off we would venture to a swimming hole, which in fact was just that, a fresh water swimming hole. The tales of all kinds of creatures in the pool did not deter its use as a favorite swimming spot. There were several trees skirting the edge and grassy shaded area on the south side. The shaded area provided for a place to lay beach towels. Tanning in those days was like a badge of honor and the deeper the tan the better. And there was also the obvious closeness of parties. And we were no exception, but rest assured not out of line.

This friend would also teach me some of the finer artful moves of dancing, the hard and quick returns of a tennis ball, the understanding of knowing and relying on a 'real friend'.
I would lose track eventually, however upon returning from the Navy I again would see my true friend and for a short time (twice) renewed a lifetime of knowing, yes knowing.

No comments:

Custom-embroidered logo shirts and apparel by Queensboro